WoNoMute is an horizontal network organization that promotes the work of those identifying as women in the interdisciplinary field of music technology. The term music technology is used here to define activities related to the use, development and analysis of technology applied to sound and music. It is an umbrella term that connects researchers and practitioners, as well as engineers and social scientists. It is still a fact that women are underrepresented in the field of music technology. We can be agents of change to improve the current situation and promote women’s work and role models that can inspire new generations to pursue their careers in music technology. We can be agents of change who join forces and cooperate for a future better representation of women in the field of music technology. We can be agents of change by sharing our practices and tools, to positively learn from each other. WoNoMute is based in Norway in Scandinavia, where the physical activities take place, and it also aims to reach the international community with a meaningful online presence so that the geography is transcended.
This is a working document that expresses the core ideas and values of the organization Women Nordic Music Technology (WoNoMute). WoNoMute aims to promote and connect the work of women in music technology at local, national and international levels by organizing activities (e.g. seminars), as well as documenting the activities and generating new content using internet as a public resource and collaborative space. You can read a summary of the organization here.
- We are committed to build a diverse community of friends, colleagues and supporters of an organization, which aims to promote and make visible the work of those identifying as women at a local, national and international levels.
- We are committed to raise awareness of the underrepresentation of women in the field of music technology.
- We are committed to promote cultural and technological exchange of experiences through the organization of both local and networked events related to music technology.
- We are committed to promote communities of practice and peer learning.
- We are committed to build an horizontal network organization where the members have the freedom to express and discuss positively their ideas.
- We are committed to generate online content that is open and accessible.
- We are committed to transparent community-based processes that promote participation, cooperation, and trust.